Monday, January 31, 2005

City of Anaheim Officially Nuts

In today's edition of the LA Times it was reported that the city of Anaheim is urging citizens to "support the Angels". Apparently the City Council felt this vote-of-confidence for the Halos was necessary due to the colossal success of their campaign to block the hometown baseball club from changing their name to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim instead of the more geographically specific ‘Anaheim Angels’. As a reality check for the officials there in the heart of Citrus Country the Halo Herald is proud to present a quick re-cap:

1. Angels change their name because marketing themselves as 'Anaheim' is akin to American Airlines deciding to sell tickets as Arkansas Air. Yee Haw.


2. City of Anaheim spends $200,000 + to fight the name change and is staring down the barrel at (according to the Times story) a $1,000,000 legal bill to take the Angels to trial. Result so far: nada.

3. Angels get more free publicity this off-season than when they signed Bartolo Colon, Kelvim Escobar and Vladimir Guerrero last year. Thanks City of Anaheim!

4. Sheepish City Council, having stirred-up virtually no one (save a few angry internet bloggers and some limited-intelligence media types trying to score a quick quip at the Angels expense ---" hey, whats up with those Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- how lame!") start their public retreat by asking fans, who were going to support the team anyway, to come on out and support the boys. After all, the players had nothing to do with this "misguided marketing scheme". Oh, and we want to make sure we get Mr. Moreno's $25,000 check to the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce this year!

The Chicken-Littles-of-Anaheim decried the name change as a sure sign of the coming economic apocalypse. "It's confusing" they cried. As if fans, suddenly frozen with indecision, could not find there way to Anaheim to watch a game. What it looks like is a massive case of insecurity that Orange County should be long-over. It has been decades since LA (the city) has been even remotely significant either economically or culturally when compared the entire Southern California region. The sprawling Southland, from Hollywood to Anaheim to Riverside has grown into a massive media market known outside California collectively as "Los Angeles". Sorry Anaheim, LA was here first so they get the glory of having their name represent an entire region. That's life and that's marketing.

But now the light of day is beginning to shine on the futile and costly fight the city decided to wage against their own team and they are going to start retreating. First by encouraging fans to support the team and no doubt next telling them to please NOT burn their Rally Monkeys in effigy. I wonder if they considered the possibility that Mr. Moreno may want to financially back some other candidates in their run for City Council? Or perhaps they were afraid that if the Angels were to win it all again someday they may not be able to bask in the reflected glory to prop-up their own fledgling political ambitions. The good news for all is that this story is now officially entering the final stage where the City Council will back-off (in their own bumbling and comical way) and the Angels can concentrate on winning on the diamond instead of in court.



24 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Al said...

I've made this comment before on other websites, but don't believe I've made it here.

The ONE guy I really feel for at the city of Anaheim is the poor sap whose job it is to convince the NFL to select Anaheim as the stadium site for its, ahem, Los Angeles team, at the same time the council is suing its baseball tenant for doing the same thing.

And, with all the new stadiums being named after companies or consumer products, and all calling themselves "Field" or "Park" or anything but "Stadium," the name "Anaheim Stadium" would stand out above the crowd. The logical solution to this hissy fit is to rename the stadium Anaheim Stadium and allow the team to be the Los Angeles Angels period.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a cheapest plane ticket
It deals mostly with cheapest plane ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

12:30 AM  
Blogger De Post Man said...

Informative post. Take a look at my credit site ( http://mortgage.27days27gurus.com/ ) f you can. Thanks bad credit mortgage refinance

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site. Check mine out if you can. stock investing for dummy

4:36 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a business franchise guarantee safelist site/blog. It pretty much covers business franchise guarantee safelist related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great Video Game blog, thanks for letting me post a message. Great Job with your blog.

Thanks
game make video

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I was doing a search for blogs that were fitness related to Dallas. I came across yours and found it interesting. I'm definitely going to bookmark it. I have a Dallas Self Defense School if you want to have a look at it.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a internet marketing information site/blog. It pretty much covers internet marketing information related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:29 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Good blog but without internet advertising opportunity you have little chance of selling anything.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a classified advertising site/blog. It pretty much covers classified advertising related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog you have here. Lots of great info on chicago suntimes bear. I have a chicago suntimes bear related site. It has lots of information, discussion, stats etc. on chicago suntimes bear. Please check it out if you get a chance.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christian list mailing site/blog. It pretty much covers christian list mailing related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Join the 3 Marketeers Club today, its Absolutely FREE!!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a basket corporate gift site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you need traffic? would you like to make money instead of lose money?check out this siteprint advertising

12:46 AM  
Anonymous fancy dress uk said...

Hi,

Thought i'd just leave a comment here to let you know that your blog left me with a few thoughts in my head.

If you ever get the chance and feel you could add some thought provoking wisdom on the topic of Fancy Dress or fancy dress shop then please feel free to post a reply on my blog.

Thanks again.

2:30 AM  
Anonymous 70s fancy dress said...

Hi,

Came across your blog by pure accident but thought whilst i was here i could tell you about this Fancy Dress and child fancy dress site i found.

Check it out when you have time as i'm sure you could find a fancy dress costume to suit your needs some time.

Many Thanks

6:30 PM  
Anonymous accessory costume dress fancy halloween said...

Hi,

Thought i'd just leave a comment here to let you know that your blog left me with a few thoughts in my head.

If you ever get the chance and feel you could add some thought provoking wisdom on the topic of Fancy Dress or child fancy dress then please feel free to post a reply on my blog.

Thanks again.

5:32 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Unusual blog. I liked the site its from so much I
have to visit it again! I surf the web for blogs like
yours in my spare time.
Check out my sallie mae student loan consolidation blog, you won't be sorry!

7:14 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Fine blog. I found your site suitable for another
visit! And when I'm able to surf the web, I look for
blogs as great as your work.
Look who checking out my consolidation loan service student blog?

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mortgage Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about mortgage calc so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Mortgage Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about champion mortgage
that covers champion mortgage
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Investment Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about investing
, please feel free to visit.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com