Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Recovered from Tax Day

I'm woozy but I have emerged from my 'tax week' hibernation. Finished calculating my share of the country's annual shake-down and needed a few days to recover.

I remember reading a Bloom County cartoon strip years ago that perfectly encapsulated the feeling of paying taxes in America. Berkeley Breathed, the masterful cartoonist who created Opus, Bill the Cat and all the other characters from BC, had a strip where one of the characters described the harvest of stone crabs (one of the best foods in the world I might add -- particularly from Joe's). Each season the crabs are caught in traps and the larger of their two claws is ripped off and the crabs then returned to the sea. The crab is left with his one small claw to try and find food and defend himself but over the course of the next year his missing claw grows back, often time larger than the year before. Then the stone crab is caught again and his new claw is ripped off and he is tossed back into the sea. The noble stone crab is therefore the perfect metaphor for the American taxpayer.

If anyone happens to have access to that particular strip I would love to get a copy to keep with my tax documents. At least I can smile before starting the 2005 ripping-off of my claw.

4 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Al said...

It's always better to just gather up your material and take it to a professional to do your tax return. Why stress out?

---Uncle Al

P.S. Did I ever mention I'm an accountant by profession? Ha! Ha!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to look a crab leg in the eye since reading that strip. My wife loves crab salad and I won't touch the stuff now.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked the info on your site about Tax Return - nice work. I've just started my own Tax Return Secrets blog and would really appreciate you stopping by

4:55 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

I look for blogs as great as your work. Fine
blog. I found your site suitable for another visit!
Please come by and see my student consolidation loan info. blog.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com